Skip to main content

Veganism: more harm than good?

As veganism continues to rise in popularity, so does the amount of backlash claiming that going vegan isn't as good for the planet as people think. From avocados to coconuts, foods popular in vegan diets are now claimed to be causing serious harm to the environment. But what really is the truth? 

Vegans eat more than just salad, right?
So you've seen the news. Climate change is happening, and unless we start to significantly reduce carbon emissions, it's only going to get worse. More and more people are changing their lifestyles to reduce their individual carbon footprint, whether that's ditching flying, cutting down on plastic. One of the biggest ways people are doing their bit for the environment is by reducing meat and dairy intake. A University of Oxford study found that if everybody followed a plant-based diet, greenhouse gas emissions from food production would be reduced by 49%, and there would be a whopping 76% reduction in land use.

 Early Bird - the only place to get brunch in Cardiff.
As great as it would be, we can't expect the entire world to go vegan overnight. I'm still working on going completely vegan, but I don't eat meat and I've recently swapped to only eating eggs and dairy a couple of times a week. At the same time, I've been reducing the amount of plastic-wrapped produce I buy and trying to shop locally as much as possible. Living on a student budget means sometimes, I have to prioritise cost, but most of the time it works out cheaper anyway.


Last month I took part in Veganuary, pledging to follow a vegan diet for the whole of January. Taking part gave me the perfect opportunity to experiment with plant-based alternatives for foods such as cheese and milk. I wanted to do the best I could in the challenge, so I researched vegan options both before and during January so I was well-prepared. However, the more research I did, the more confused I became about which products cause the least damage to the environment. Five foods in particular seemed to be surrounded by a lot of confusion, so over the next couple of articles I'll unpack the truth behind these foods:
Starting Veganuary off on a (cinnamon) roll

  • Almond milk- is it killing bees?
  • Avocados- is the water consumption worth it?
  • Olive oil- is it killing birds?
  • Soya- is it causing deforestation?
  • Coconuts- can we cope with increasing demands?

Comments

  1. Certainly an insightful read. Looking forward to your subsequent articles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! Love it, can't wait to read more about what you find out about all these things

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Almond milk: more harm than good?

Is your morning coffee costing the lives of billions of bees? There's no denying it- plant-based milk is everywhere. In 2018, there was uproar in the US as a shortage of the popular oat milk brand 'Oatly' broke out, due to sales growing faster than even the company expected.  Demand for cow's milk is falling as people begin to choose alternative milks such as coconut, soya and even pea. However, this isn't without causing some controversy, of course. One plant milk in particular has come under fire recently, due to claims that its production is causing the deaths of billions of honey bees. Now, I'm not saying that we should just give up and switch back to drinking cow's milk. The 2018 University of Oxford study shows that dairy milk produces almost three times more greenhouse gasses than any milk alternative available.   So whichever plant milk you choose, it's still so much better for the environment than dairy. But if you're an almond milk lo

DIY Plant milk seedling trays

Now the weather has warmed up, it's the perfect time to get gardening. Here's a simple idea for germinating seeds using materials you might already have in the home! Slowly but surely, I've been convincing my family to swap to plant milk. However, this means we're also throwing out a lot more cartons. Due to the mixed materials, cartons have to be recycled at a specific centre, which currently we only have one of- in Yorkshire. This plant is capable of recycling up to 40% of the cartons produced here in the UK, but an article by The Times found that only 10% are actually recycled. Considering many people swap to plant milk for environmental reasons, it's ridiculous that most of the time the cartons end up in landfill, slowly breaking down and releasing greenhouse gasses. You can make plant milk at home, and it's a great option if you've got a zero-waste shop nearby because then you can make it entirely waste free. I have tried making my own oat milk

Seven Pages Every Bullet Journal Needs

My brother bought me my bullet journal for Christmas 2 1/2 years ago, and I've been hooked ever since! I'm very picky as to the designs I'll put in mine, which means I'm still only halfway through my first journal. Most of my inspiration comes from Pinterest. So, if you don't know where to start for ideas then create a Pinterest account RIGHT NOW. Ideas for pages there are endless, and if you've got a specific idea in mind but don't know how to put it onto a page, simply search : '(insert idea) bullet journal' for plenty to pick from. I don't have a particular theme to my journal -other than lot's of colour- because I would never be able to stick to it, but feel free to make everything match if that's your style.  Regardless, no bullet journal is complete without these pages: 1. Sunshine tracker This is one of my favourite pages, because I love how bright it is. I know it's a bit cheesy but it does make me feel all warm and fuzzy when