Skip to main content

Why I joined Extinction Rebellion, and why you should too.

XR's hourglass logo, to represent time
running out for many species.
At the beginning of my second year of university I realised I felt a bit useless. First year of university flew by with settling in, going out, and getting to grips with my course. I was very lucky to be coming back to Cardiff last September with an amazing church family, course-mates I could always count on and a fab group of housemates.  But after the first couple of weeks of settling back in, I realised that other than church, I wasn't really doing anything to help other people and make a lasting impact. I decided I wanted it to be something environmental, so, I messaged my friend Sophie after seeing her post about Extinction Rebellion online. After chatting to Sophie, I decided to go along to a meeting.

I went along to a meeting (dragging my housemate along too because I was a bit nervous) having done absolutely no research on what, or who, Extinction Rebellion were. I don't really know why, as I'm normally pretty organised. But it didn't matter really, because Sophie began the meeting by explaining a bit about Extinction Rebellion and their three demands. Here's what I found out:

Extinction Rebellion is a non-heirarchical international movement whose goal is to tackle climate change. Activists take part in non-violent protests all over the world to make governments listen and  persuade them to act on the climate emergency.
Cardiff XR's Mass Bike Ride
The three demands:

1. Tell The Truth.
The UK government must declare a climate emergency to tell the truth about the scale of the crisis. They must work alongside organisations to convey to others the urgency of the situation and the need to change.

2. Act Now.
Our government need to act now and reach net zero for greenhouse gas emissions for 2025 to stop biodiversity loss.

2. Beyond Politics
The government must create a citizens' assembly  for the climate crisis, and be led by their decisions.

Extinction Rebellion had organised hundreds of protests all over the world, focusing on topics linked to climate change such as oil drilling. Considering the Cardiff university group is not even a year old yet, we have organised a pretty impressive amount of actions and events this year (if I may say so myself). My favourite action, and my also my first, was the Black Friday Die-In. On one of the busiest days of the year for over-consumerism, we marched through Cardiff city centre chanting 'planet not profit', whilst holding placards and handing out leaflets. Then, we went up the second floor of the St David's shopping centre and laid down on the floor. Lots of people stopped to find out what we were doing, and it gave us a great opportunity to talk to them about the environmental issues caused by companies promoting fast fashion and big tech, which were the two main focus points of the protest.

I've been part of Extinction Rebellion for about six months now, and I'm really excited about what we'll achieve in the Cardiff uni society next year. If you're passionate about looking after our planet and giving future generations the chance for a brighter future, then I can't recommend getting involved with XR. There are groups set up all over the UK (and lots worldwide if you're from further afield) so it only takes a quick search online to find out how you can get involved. If you're from Cardiff, the uni society is open to Cardiff Met and The Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama as well as Cardiff university so wherever you study, come along and get involved next year! For now, you can follow us on InstagramFacebook and Twitter to find out what we're up to.
My podcast episode- out now!
If you want to know more, about students' experiences of Extinction Rebellion, then check out the XR University Podcast by Alexia Barrett, which you can listen to here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Almond milk: more harm than good?

Is your morning coffee costing the lives of billions of bees? There's no denying it- plant-based milk is everywhere. In 2018, there was uproar in the US as a shortage of the popular oat milk brand 'Oatly' broke out, due to sales growing faster than even the company expected.  Demand for cow's milk is falling as people begin to choose alternative milks such as coconut, soya and even pea. However, this isn't without causing some controversy, of course. One plant milk in particular has come under fire recently, due to claims that its production is causing the deaths of billions of honey bees. Now, I'm not saying that we should just give up and switch back to drinking cow's milk. The 2018 University of Oxford study shows that dairy milk produces almost three times more greenhouse gasses than any milk alternative available.   So whichever plant milk you choose, it's still so much better for the environment than dairy. But if you're an almond milk lo

DIY Plant milk seedling trays

Now the weather has warmed up, it's the perfect time to get gardening. Here's a simple idea for germinating seeds using materials you might already have in the home! Slowly but surely, I've been convincing my family to swap to plant milk. However, this means we're also throwing out a lot more cartons. Due to the mixed materials, cartons have to be recycled at a specific centre, which currently we only have one of- in Yorkshire. This plant is capable of recycling up to 40% of the cartons produced here in the UK, but an article by The Times found that only 10% are actually recycled. Considering many people swap to plant milk for environmental reasons, it's ridiculous that most of the time the cartons end up in landfill, slowly breaking down and releasing greenhouse gasses. You can make plant milk at home, and it's a great option if you've got a zero-waste shop nearby because then you can make it entirely waste free. I have tried making my own oat milk

Seven Pages Every Bullet Journal Needs

My brother bought me my bullet journal for Christmas 2 1/2 years ago, and I've been hooked ever since! I'm very picky as to the designs I'll put in mine, which means I'm still only halfway through my first journal. Most of my inspiration comes from Pinterest. So, if you don't know where to start for ideas then create a Pinterest account RIGHT NOW. Ideas for pages there are endless, and if you've got a specific idea in mind but don't know how to put it onto a page, simply search : '(insert idea) bullet journal' for plenty to pick from. I don't have a particular theme to my journal -other than lot's of colour- because I would never be able to stick to it, but feel free to make everything match if that's your style.  Regardless, no bullet journal is complete without these pages: 1. Sunshine tracker This is one of my favourite pages, because I love how bright it is. I know it's a bit cheesy but it does make me feel all warm and fuzzy when