Skip to main content

Lockdown Baking Series: 4. 'Make It Your Own' Granola


Coconut yoghurt, granola, sliced strawberries
 and banana sprinkled with chia seeds...
what better way to start the day?

For those of you that know me well, I hate getting up with a passion. When I have to get up early I'll sit blinking at you for twenty minutes until my brain and body catch up with each-other, and don't even think about asking me to do something for you. But, I also hate doing nothing, so wanting to sleep and be busy is not exactly the easiest conflict to solve (and yes, I have tried going to bed earlier. It doesn't work- I just end up sleeping even longer).

If I do wake up late I usually skip breakfast and have an early lunch, but this always ends with me eating rubbish in the evenings. I love the fact that there are so many options for breakfast, but what I don't love is the idea of eating them when I've just woken up. I'm much more of a 'eat breakfast food at dinner time' kind of girl, but that leaves me stuck for what to actually eat in the morning.

One thing I do enjoy is cereal, but most of the time it's either super boring (sorry, but does anyone actually enjoy eating bran flakes?) or full of added sugar. So, making my own seemed like the perfect solution, because then it can be made exactly how I like it, and once it's baked it's no extra work than pouring cereal from a box.

I was inspired to make my own granola when I saw Deliciously Ella's recipe for Cinnamon Pecan Granola. As I said in my post 'Veggie or not, here are 5 recipe books that everyone needs on their bookshelf', I don't always stick exactly to the ingredients because it depends on what I've got in the cupboards and what I fancy. You need some form of oil and liquid sweetener to make the oats clump together, but even that can be changed to whatever you've got in the cupboard.

I've been making my own granola for about a year now, and the personalisation is definitely my favourite part. There are no limits to what you can do- add in or take out whatever works for you. I love peanut butter and chocolate together, so I also used the Minimalist Baker's granola recipes for inspiration too. 

Ingredients-

3 cups oats 
2 tbsps granulated sugar
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup whole-nut peanut butter
1/4 cup maple syrup or honey (if you do use honey, it won't be vegan)
2 tbsps desiccated coconut
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup mixed nuts, roughly chopped
2 tbsps chia seeds, or flax seeds
1/3 cup dairy-free dark chocolate, chopped finely
1/2 cup dried fruit

Method-

1. Preheat the oven to 170C/ 150C fan.
2. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the oats, sugar, desiccated coconut, pumpkin seeds, nuts and chia seeds.
3. Melt together the coconut oil, peanut butter and maple syrup/ honey.
4. Pour the liquids over the dry mixture and stir until everything looks evenly coated. If it looks too wet, add in a handful more of oats.
5. Spread the granola over two non-stick baking sheets and bake for 20-25 minutes until evenly golden and toasted. Stir every 10 minutes so it bakes evenly. It will burn quickly, so keep a close eye on it when it has started to caramelise.
6. When toasted enough, remove from the oven and stir to release some heat. Leave to cool, and then add the chocolate chunks and dried fruit.
7. Transfer to a large air-tight storage container. The granola will keep fresh for two weeks, but it can be frozen too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Almond milk: more harm than good?

Is your morning coffee costing the lives of billions of bees? There's no denying it- plant-based milk is everywhere. In 2018, there was uproar in the US as a shortage of the popular oat milk brand 'Oatly' broke out, due to sales growing faster than even the company expected.  Demand for cow's milk is falling as people begin to choose alternative milks such as coconut, soya and even pea. However, this isn't without causing some controversy, of course. One plant milk in particular has come under fire recently, due to claims that its production is causing the deaths of billions of honey bees. Now, I'm not saying that we should just give up and switch back to drinking cow's milk. The 2018 University of Oxford study shows that dairy milk produces almost three times more greenhouse gasses than any milk alternative available.   So whichever plant milk you choose, it's still so much better for the environment than dairy. But if you're an almond milk lo

DIY Plant milk seedling trays

Now the weather has warmed up, it's the perfect time to get gardening. Here's a simple idea for germinating seeds using materials you might already have in the home! Slowly but surely, I've been convincing my family to swap to plant milk. However, this means we're also throwing out a lot more cartons. Due to the mixed materials, cartons have to be recycled at a specific centre, which currently we only have one of- in Yorkshire. This plant is capable of recycling up to 40% of the cartons produced here in the UK, but an article by The Times found that only 10% are actually recycled. Considering many people swap to plant milk for environmental reasons, it's ridiculous that most of the time the cartons end up in landfill, slowly breaking down and releasing greenhouse gasses. You can make plant milk at home, and it's a great option if you've got a zero-waste shop nearby because then you can make it entirely waste free. I have tried making my own oat milk

Seven Pages Every Bullet Journal Needs

My brother bought me my bullet journal for Christmas 2 1/2 years ago, and I've been hooked ever since! I'm very picky as to the designs I'll put in mine, which means I'm still only halfway through my first journal. Most of my inspiration comes from Pinterest. So, if you don't know where to start for ideas then create a Pinterest account RIGHT NOW. Ideas for pages there are endless, and if you've got a specific idea in mind but don't know how to put it onto a page, simply search : '(insert idea) bullet journal' for plenty to pick from. I don't have a particular theme to my journal -other than lot's of colour- because I would never be able to stick to it, but feel free to make everything match if that's your style.  Regardless, no bullet journal is complete without these pages: 1. Sunshine tracker This is one of my favourite pages, because I love how bright it is. I know it's a bit cheesy but it does make me feel all warm and fuzzy when