Skip to main content

The best products for curly hair

If I had to tell you what the biggest thing people notice about me when they first meet me, it would 100% have to be my hair. Over the years, my hairs gone from being so long I could sit on it, to up above my shoulders- and pretty much every length in between. It's also gone from barely even wavy, to the ringlet curls I have today. 
Rapunzel who?

The rise of the curly girl means so many people are embracing their curly hair at the moment, which is amazing! Straight hair is beautiful, but if your hair naturally wants to curl then why cover that up? I've heard people say that straight hair means you're more likely to be taken seriously and it helps you look grown up, which I have to admit is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Just like the way you dress isn't for other people to judge, neither should the way you wear your hair.  

Lockdown has given me a lot of time to experiment with different products for curly hair, and I think I have finally worked out the products that work, and a method for using them that leaves me with soft, frizz-free, manageable curls. I thought I'd share them in case anyone was looking for new products to try out, but wanted some advice before just picking whatever looks good in the shop.

Using just shampoo and conditioner

Using the products below

*These products work well on my hair, but all curly hair is different so they may not give you exactly the same results.*



I know a lot of people with curly hair don't wash their hair at all and instead opt to co-wash, but I haven't been brave enough to try that properly yet. For now, I'm using Johnson's baby shampoo because it's free from dyes, parabens, phthalates, sulphates, alcohol, and soap (basically, things that aren't great for your hair).



I always follow with Johnson's conditioner- the one specifically designed for helping get tangles out. As I don't brush my hair when it's dry, this is when I get the tangles out so I always make sure I use enough to make it an easy task!



It might seem silly putting conditioner in after just washing some out, but the bottom line is that this conditioner is too expensive to use for the de-tangling process too. Saying that, it's worth the money because you only need a little bit, so one pot lasts me a good 4-5 months. Simply rub a small dollop in between your fingers and run it through your hair, scrunching up the curls a bit as you do.



I discovered this when a friend shared what she uses on Instagram, and I bought it straight away. If you buy it direct, I'd recommend waiting for a discount code as they do come around fairly often (and helps to justify the price if it's on sale). I like to run two good-sized dollops through my hair once it's not dripping wet, but still damp. Once your hair has fully dried, flip your hair over your face and use your fingers to scrunch upwards- you should be left with soft, well-defined curls.



This spray is perfect for when my curls aren't looking their best the day after I've washed them, but I don't want to wash my hair two days in a row. I like to spray the product into my hands and run it through my hair because this way you have a lot more control. If any parts have got particularly frizzy, then add a little extra spray and you'll be good to go!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Almond milk: more harm than good?

Is your morning coffee costing the lives of billions of bees? There's no denying it- plant-based milk is everywhere. In 2018, there was uproar in the US as a shortage of the popular oat milk brand 'Oatly' broke out, due to sales growing faster than even the company expected.  Demand for cow's milk is falling as people begin to choose alternative milks such as coconut, soya and even pea. However, this isn't without causing some controversy, of course. One plant milk in particular has come under fire recently, due to claims that its production is causing the deaths of billions of honey bees. Now, I'm not saying that we should just give up and switch back to drinking cow's milk. The 2018 University of Oxford study shows that dairy milk produces almost three times more greenhouse gasses than any milk alternative available.   So whichever plant milk you choose, it's still so much better for the environment than dairy. But if you're an almond milk lo

DIY Plant milk seedling trays

Now the weather has warmed up, it's the perfect time to get gardening. Here's a simple idea for germinating seeds using materials you might already have in the home! Slowly but surely, I've been convincing my family to swap to plant milk. However, this means we're also throwing out a lot more cartons. Due to the mixed materials, cartons have to be recycled at a specific centre, which currently we only have one of- in Yorkshire. This plant is capable of recycling up to 40% of the cartons produced here in the UK, but an article by The Times found that only 10% are actually recycled. Considering many people swap to plant milk for environmental reasons, it's ridiculous that most of the time the cartons end up in landfill, slowly breaking down and releasing greenhouse gasses. You can make plant milk at home, and it's a great option if you've got a zero-waste shop nearby because then you can make it entirely waste free. I have tried making my own oat milk

Seven Pages Every Bullet Journal Needs

My brother bought me my bullet journal for Christmas 2 1/2 years ago, and I've been hooked ever since! I'm very picky as to the designs I'll put in mine, which means I'm still only halfway through my first journal. Most of my inspiration comes from Pinterest. So, if you don't know where to start for ideas then create a Pinterest account RIGHT NOW. Ideas for pages there are endless, and if you've got a specific idea in mind but don't know how to put it onto a page, simply search : '(insert idea) bullet journal' for plenty to pick from. I don't have a particular theme to my journal -other than lot's of colour- because I would never be able to stick to it, but feel free to make everything match if that's your style.  Regardless, no bullet journal is complete without these pages: 1. Sunshine tracker This is one of my favourite pages, because I love how bright it is. I know it's a bit cheesy but it does make me feel all warm and fuzzy when