Skip to main content

5 healthy(ish) snacks to get you through the day

If I could, I would happily spend all day every day eating pizza and chocolate cake. But  as heavenly as that sounds, I'm well aware that if this actually was my reality, my body would not thank me very much in the long run. 

So, if there's any ways I can eat my favourite foods as much as I like without feeling like I've eaten far too much every time, I am so there for it. Sometimes there's nothing quite eating the original, and of course, sometimes I will. Also, there are a lot of claims out there for 'healthier' versions of food that are either: a) actually not that much healthier, or b) so different that there's simply no point- you might as well just enjoy the original (and maybe go on a walk afterwards).

But this isn't always the case. When I'm craving any of these five foods but I fancy a lighter version, these are my go to swaps that are still satisfying for both my cravings and hunger.

1. Tortilla pizza

I've seen this been made hundreds of times on TikTok (shoutout to Flo for sharing the recipe, and fitting back into her jeans) but I was sceptical. There's been such a craze for making pizza healthy recently and most of the time, the time it takes to make them you may as well just eat a normal pizza and then do a workout. When you're really craving a pizza but want a lighter alternative, then this is the next best thing. Simply spread some tomato puree over a wrap, sprinkle over some grated cheese (and any other toppings you fancy) and grill until the cheese is melted and bubbling.

2. Baked bananas

So often I finish my main course and really fancy something sweet afterwards, but don't want anything too sickly or extravagant. Baked bananas are sure to satisfy your sweet truth, without making you feel like you need a nap afterwards. All you need to do is cut a banana in half lengthways (without piercing the skin the other side), poke in some dark chocolate or your favourite spread -I like peanut butter- and bake in the oven for 25 minutes at 180C. If it's too hot for a baked banana, then go for the frozen option instead! Cut bananas in half widthways and stick in lollipop sticks in the flat ends, dip in chocolate, sprinkle with chopped nuts and freeze.

3. Chickpea brownies

The amount I want to bake and the amount I can eat are rarely the same, so if I fancy getting in the kitchen but don't want to have loads of sweet stuff to eat up, then healthier baking recipes are the best alternative. I know a lot of people can be put off by the fact they've got chickpeas in, but if you find a good recipe, you won't even know they're in there. My favourite recipe is from Erin Lives Whole, and added bonus: they're vegan too!

4. Trail mix

Often, I find myself mindlessly snacking when I'm working or watching a film, even if I'm not hungry. I've been getting better at listening to when my body is actually in need of food rather than just eating because I'm bored. But if I do really fancy a snack, trail mix is my go to. When you make it yourself, it's so easy to personalise and it's a great way to use up any leftover nuts or seeds you might have lying about.

I always like to make sure I have some form of dried fruit (for sweetness and fibre), nuts/ seeds (full of healthy fats), dark chocolate (high in iron and magnesium) and popcorn (high fibre wholegrain). I always pop the popcorn fresh for each portion so it doesn't go stale, but the rest will keep in an airtight container for a few weeks- if you can make it last that long. 

5. Chocolate oat cookies

I have to admit that this was another recipe I found from TikTok (I know, I'm addicted), but the ingredients looked fairly normal so I thought I'd give it a go. The cookies are pretty small, but they're still very filling as they're loaded with oats and peanut butter, which are also great sources of slow release energy. The recipe is very easy too: Blend 1/2 cup of oats until broken down. Mix in 1/2 cup peanut butter, 1/4 cup honey, 1 egg, 1/4 cup butter, 3 tbsps cocoa powder and another 1 cup of oats. Roll into balls, push in 1/2 cup chocolate chunks and bake in the oven at 180C for 15-18 minutes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Almond milk: more harm than good?

Is your morning coffee costing the lives of billions of bees? There's no denying it- plant-based milk is everywhere. In 2018, there was uproar in the US as a shortage of the popular oat milk brand 'Oatly' broke out, due to sales growing faster than even the company expected.  Demand for cow's milk is falling as people begin to choose alternative milks such as coconut, soya and even pea. However, this isn't without causing some controversy, of course. One plant milk in particular has come under fire recently, due to claims that its production is causing the deaths of billions of honey bees. Now, I'm not saying that we should just give up and switch back to drinking cow's milk. The 2018 University of Oxford study shows that dairy milk produces almost three times more greenhouse gasses than any milk alternative available.   So whichever plant milk you choose, it's still so much better for the environment than dairy. But if you're an almond milk lo

DIY Plant milk seedling trays

Now the weather has warmed up, it's the perfect time to get gardening. Here's a simple idea for germinating seeds using materials you might already have in the home! Slowly but surely, I've been convincing my family to swap to plant milk. However, this means we're also throwing out a lot more cartons. Due to the mixed materials, cartons have to be recycled at a specific centre, which currently we only have one of- in Yorkshire. This plant is capable of recycling up to 40% of the cartons produced here in the UK, but an article by The Times found that only 10% are actually recycled. Considering many people swap to plant milk for environmental reasons, it's ridiculous that most of the time the cartons end up in landfill, slowly breaking down and releasing greenhouse gasses. You can make plant milk at home, and it's a great option if you've got a zero-waste shop nearby because then you can make it entirely waste free. I have tried making my own oat milk

Seven Pages Every Bullet Journal Needs

My brother bought me my bullet journal for Christmas 2 1/2 years ago, and I've been hooked ever since! I'm very picky as to the designs I'll put in mine, which means I'm still only halfway through my first journal. Most of my inspiration comes from Pinterest. So, if you don't know where to start for ideas then create a Pinterest account RIGHT NOW. Ideas for pages there are endless, and if you've got a specific idea in mind but don't know how to put it onto a page, simply search : '(insert idea) bullet journal' for plenty to pick from. I don't have a particular theme to my journal -other than lot's of colour- because I would never be able to stick to it, but feel free to make everything match if that's your style.  Regardless, no bullet journal is complete without these pages: 1. Sunshine tracker This is one of my favourite pages, because I love how bright it is. I know it's a bit cheesy but it does make me feel all warm and fuzzy when