Skip to main content

My covid-19 summer: A reflection

Everything's been feeling a bit upside down

It's crazy to think about how different the world looked at the beginning of 2020. Now, phrases such as 'social distancing', 'the new normal' and 'key workers' are part of our vocabulary like they've always been there. Tiger King, 'Run 5 Tag 5 Donate 5', and staring in disbelief at the empty supermarket shelves, wondering how you're supposed to make banana bread now everyone else has had the same idea... 

As scientists discovered more about the virus every day, and cases and deaths seem to be doing nothing but rise, these qualms allowed us to feel united from afar. Not being able to find toilet paper began to feel quite comforting. Nobody's going to forget these times, especially those who have lost loved ones or been seriously ill from the virus. My heart goes out to everyone that has, and if that's you, I am so sorry.

Another way lots of people have been affected by covid-19 is through a hit to their mental health. A study by the Royal Society for Public Health found that 70% of 18-24 year olds have been feeling more anxious than usual during the pandemic. And chances are, this figure is a lot higher. I don't know anyone who hasn't found the last 6 months worrying, some more than others. I love being busy, so after I'd finished my second year of university, I felt very lost. All my summer plans of course had been cancelled, and after already being home for 3 months, another 4 felt like a very, very long time to have nothing to do. Regardless, I soon became busy again finding opportunities for writing online, and seeing friends from a distance. And, of course preparing for final year of university.

As I begin to prepare to go back to university this September, I thought it would be nice to make a list of the top 5 highlights of the past 6 months for me personally. It's important to remember the bigger picture, but reflecting on our own lives is also important to help us remember to be grateful for everything we have. 

It's hard to believe this is England!

1. I finished my second year at university

Luckily, I wasn't majorly affected in terms of changes to assessments or not being able to get hold of resources because my modules were already all essay-based. It was interesting to say the least trying to work at home, and I especially missed being able to pop to a coffee shop for a change of scenery. However, working from home did have it's perks. And, having my sister working from home too meant we could keep each other motivated (or distracted- depends who you ask).

2. I still got to go on holiday

A couple of days away in Brighton (during the week to avoid the busy beaches) and a week in the Lake District would not have felt possible at the start of lockdown. But, now shops and restaurants are starting to open up again, I was lucky enough to go away twice this summer. It was lovely to be able to switch off for a few days, and discover lots of new places.

Discovering Brighton

3. I overcame my fear of phone calls (mostly)

Other than my closest friends and family, I am the worst at picking up the phone and talking to someone. It doesn't matter who it is, if it involves me not being able to talk to someone face to face, it fills me with dreaded anxiety. If I don't know the number, under no circumstances will I pick up. And if I've got to do the calling, I'll contact them in any other way possible to avoid speaking to a real person on a phone. But turns out, when there's absolutely no other option than moving everything online, phone and video calls soon feel much, much easier. I'm still not amazing at answering calls to strangers, but it's progress!

4. I managed to keep busy

I know for lots of people, the idea of a long summer holiday with no responsibilities or commitments sounds ideal, but I find it difficult to stop. I'm fine having a chill day if I feel like I've earned it, because I've been working hard. So I didn't cope very well with the prospect of month after month of 'relaxing'. But as lots of opportunities moved online, I soon found lots of ways to keep busy. I've been doing book reviews, taken up the position of food editor for the Cardiff University magazine, writing one-off pieces for a couple of websites, and writing a newsletter for Extinction Rebellion. It's also been the perfect time to dream up lots of new projects too, that I can't wait to get started! 

5. My best fried got engaged!

I had to leave this one until last because it is definitely the best. My best friend since day 1 has finally got engaged to Jenson, another one of my closest friends. It may not have come as much of a shock, but it was no less exciting when they came round to break the news. The news has certainly made my summer, and it's something to look forward to too as we start celebrating the engagement!
A personalised wedding planner for the happy couple

Of course, we still don't know the exact challenges we will face in the future- covid-19 related or not. So, as we continue to face new circumstances, let's continue to stay safe, stay kind to others, and stay thankful for what we have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Almond milk: more harm than good?

Is your morning coffee costing the lives of billions of bees? There's no denying it- plant-based milk is everywhere. In 2018, there was uproar in the US as a shortage of the popular oat milk brand 'Oatly' broke out, due to sales growing faster than even the company expected.  Demand for cow's milk is falling as people begin to choose alternative milks such as coconut, soya and even pea. However, this isn't without causing some controversy, of course. One plant milk in particular has come under fire recently, due to claims that its production is causing the deaths of billions of honey bees. Now, I'm not saying that we should just give up and switch back to drinking cow's milk. The 2018 University of Oxford study shows that dairy milk produces almost three times more greenhouse gasses than any milk alternative available.   So whichever plant milk you choose, it's still so much better for the environment than dairy. But if you're an almond milk lo

DIY Plant milk seedling trays

Now the weather has warmed up, it's the perfect time to get gardening. Here's a simple idea for germinating seeds using materials you might already have in the home! Slowly but surely, I've been convincing my family to swap to plant milk. However, this means we're also throwing out a lot more cartons. Due to the mixed materials, cartons have to be recycled at a specific centre, which currently we only have one of- in Yorkshire. This plant is capable of recycling up to 40% of the cartons produced here in the UK, but an article by The Times found that only 10% are actually recycled. Considering many people swap to plant milk for environmental reasons, it's ridiculous that most of the time the cartons end up in landfill, slowly breaking down and releasing greenhouse gasses. You can make plant milk at home, and it's a great option if you've got a zero-waste shop nearby because then you can make it entirely waste free. I have tried making my own oat milk

Seven Pages Every Bullet Journal Needs

My brother bought me my bullet journal for Christmas 2 1/2 years ago, and I've been hooked ever since! I'm very picky as to the designs I'll put in mine, which means I'm still only halfway through my first journal. Most of my inspiration comes from Pinterest. So, if you don't know where to start for ideas then create a Pinterest account RIGHT NOW. Ideas for pages there are endless, and if you've got a specific idea in mind but don't know how to put it onto a page, simply search : '(insert idea) bullet journal' for plenty to pick from. I don't have a particular theme to my journal -other than lot's of colour- because I would never be able to stick to it, but feel free to make everything match if that's your style.  Regardless, no bullet journal is complete without these pages: 1. Sunshine tracker This is one of my favourite pages, because I love how bright it is. I know it's a bit cheesy but it does make me feel all warm and fuzzy when