Skip to main content

The best plant-based products to help you eat less meat and dairy


Completely vegan chocolate cake
- who would know?

We are all aware that reducing our meat and dairy intake is a great way to reduce our individual impact on the environment, as well as holding large companies accountable for the damage they do too, of course. So, I've decided to share some of my favourite meat/ dairy replacements for when you want a taste of the original, with a much smaller environmental impact!

I'd love to say I'm a vegan, but if I can't find a good enough alternative for some dairy items, I do still eat the original (although in much smaller quantities than I used to). As veganism continues to grow, so does the incredible alternatives available, which means it's getting easier and easier to swap out meat and dairy products in our diets. It's still important to incorporate lots of unprocessed foods like fruit and veggies into your diet, so I do try and only eat these when I truly want an alternative. But, if it's helping us eat less dairy and reducing our impact on the environment, who's complaining?

1. Flora plant butter

It's pretty easy to find vegan margarines for everyday use now, but I'm a sucker for some freshly baked bread and salted butter- there's nothing that can beat it. So,  I've been on the look out for an alternative to butter that has the salty, creamy taste of butter, and something that works well where real butter is needed, like for making biscuits and buttercream. 

Flora plant butter definitely hits the spot, and it has a much firmer texture like butter too (but still softens well), so it does give pastry and biscuits that beautifully crisp texture that often margarine doesn't. Although I've never tried it, I've only heard good things about Naturali too, which is similar to Flora plant- so make sure to try that if you can't find the Flora butter.

Mocha hazelnut cookies made with Flora plant butter

2. Naked Glory chicken pieces

If I had a penny for the amount of chicken alternatives I'd tried, I'd pro
bably be rich enough to create my own and not have to keep trying new ones. In the mean time, I'll happily eat most chicken alternatives, but I've been searching one that is as close to real chicken as you can get. I know some meat eaters think this is weird- why if you don't want to eat meat would you want to eat something just like it? But I have nothing against the taste of meat! It's such a great addition to so many dishes, I would just rather not eat it if it helps the environment. 

Back to the Naked Glory chicken pieces in question- I had them at my friends house when we had fajitas, and it's honestly changed my life (sorry to be dramatic over some fake chicken). They have a much more similar texture than other alternatives, and they held the flavour of the fajita seasoning really well.

3. Elmlea plant cream

We tease my mum because she's known for saying on several occasions "I just love cream" whenever we find her licking the cream pot. So, when I gave her some chocolate ganache made with vegan cream and she couldn't tell the difference at all, I was very pleasantly surprised.

It's more similar to dairy Elmlea rather than double cr
eam, but when mixed with other ingredients, it's difficult to tell the difference. There are other vegan alternatives to double cream such as coconut milk, but if you want something with less of an obvious flavour difference, then make sure to give it a go!

4. Linda McCartney burgers

I first had one of these at a bbq and I was adamant I'd been handed a meat burger- that's how much they taste like meat. I've never been a huge fan of meat burgers anyway because of the chance of gristle, so these are better in every way.

If you're still eating dairy, then make sure to try out the mozzarella burgers. I keep them as a treat because I would eat them every day if I could; they are SO good. If you'd rather skip the cheese, the quarter pounders are very similar, just without the cheese pull.

The perfect student snack

5. Applewood smoked cheddar

Disclaimer- this is still not quite on the level of dairy cheese. But it is so much better than other vegan cheeses out there, I had to mention it. It melts really well, tastes lovely and smokey, and has such a less distinct smell than other vegan cheeses (if you know, you know).

If you aren't a fan of smoked cheese (although I didn't find it that noticeable with the Applewood), then make sure to try out the Violife grated cheddar. I've eaten this in sandwiches without even realising it wasn't dairy cheese, so if you want a good cheese for eating raw, this is the one for you.

6. Quorn chicken nuggets

As Jamie Oliver didn't manage to convince kids that they shouldn't eat chicken nuggets after he showed them what was really in them, then maybe he should have given them a plate of Quorn chicken nuggets instead. I know so many meat eaters who have tried these and not even realised they aren't chicken, any I can't think of much of more of a convincing reason to try them than that.

I don't know what they do differently, but they're so much better than the chicken pieces (although the fillets are pretty good if you want something more similar to chicken than the pieces) and I could happily eat a whole bag in one sitting. They aren't vegan, because they have egg in to help with the texture, but Quorn do sell a vegan alternative too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Almond milk: more harm than good?

Is your morning coffee costing the lives of billions of bees? There's no denying it- plant-based milk is everywhere. In 2018, there was uproar in the US as a shortage of the popular oat milk brand 'Oatly' broke out, due to sales growing faster than even the company expected.  Demand for cow's milk is falling as people begin to choose alternative milks such as coconut, soya and even pea. However, this isn't without causing some controversy, of course. One plant milk in particular has come under fire recently, due to claims that its production is causing the deaths of billions of honey bees. Now, I'm not saying that we should just give up and switch back to drinking cow's milk. The 2018 University of Oxford study shows that dairy milk produces almost three times more greenhouse gasses than any milk alternative available.   So whichever plant milk you choose, it's still so much better for the environment than dairy. But if you're an almond milk lo

DIY Plant milk seedling trays

Now the weather has warmed up, it's the perfect time to get gardening. Here's a simple idea for germinating seeds using materials you might already have in the home! Slowly but surely, I've been convincing my family to swap to plant milk. However, this means we're also throwing out a lot more cartons. Due to the mixed materials, cartons have to be recycled at a specific centre, which currently we only have one of- in Yorkshire. This plant is capable of recycling up to 40% of the cartons produced here in the UK, but an article by The Times found that only 10% are actually recycled. Considering many people swap to plant milk for environmental reasons, it's ridiculous that most of the time the cartons end up in landfill, slowly breaking down and releasing greenhouse gasses. You can make plant milk at home, and it's a great option if you've got a zero-waste shop nearby because then you can make it entirely waste free. I have tried making my own oat milk

Seven Pages Every Bullet Journal Needs

My brother bought me my bullet journal for Christmas 2 1/2 years ago, and I've been hooked ever since! I'm very picky as to the designs I'll put in mine, which means I'm still only halfway through my first journal. Most of my inspiration comes from Pinterest. So, if you don't know where to start for ideas then create a Pinterest account RIGHT NOW. Ideas for pages there are endless, and if you've got a specific idea in mind but don't know how to put it onto a page, simply search : '(insert idea) bullet journal' for plenty to pick from. I don't have a particular theme to my journal -other than lot's of colour- because I would never be able to stick to it, but feel free to make everything match if that's your style.  Regardless, no bullet journal is complete without these pages: 1. Sunshine tracker This is one of my favourite pages, because I love how bright it is. I know it's a bit cheesy but it does make me feel all warm and fuzzy when