Skip to main content

5 Things I Wish I'd Known Before Starting University

No matter how extroverted or introverted you might be, starting university is a daunting experience. But it's also the perfect place to grow so much as a person, achieve more than you ever thought possible and create so many amazing memories. Regardless of whether you have just started uni or you're going into your final year, here's my advice for starting this year in the best possible way!

1. If there's something you know you want to do, get involved straight away.

It's very easy to use the stress of moving to uni and settling in to never get involved with doing much else than surviving at uni, rather than thriving. It's okay to give yourself a week or so to adjust, but don't put off joining societies or other groups for so long that you get so busy with your degree you never bother or no longer feel you've got the time to. If you're a returning student who didn't get stuck in with much last year, use this year as a fresh start to make the most out of your time at university.

If you're not sure what you want to do, here's a few ideas to get you started:

  • Try church. If you're nervous about going in person straight away, watch a couple of online services to get you used to it.
  • Write for your university mag/ newspaper.
  • Start that sport you always wished your parents made you do when you were younger.
  • Join your course society, as the people there are bound to have similar interests to you.

2. It's okay to say no.

When I went to university, I'd come from doing 101 extra activities at home, so I was eager to find lots of things to get involved with. As I got into the swing of university life, I allowed myself to try out different activities so that I could then decide if they were truly what I wanted to spend my free time doing. If your heart's not really in an activity, don't stick to it out of a feeling of duty. There's bound to be something you find more passionate about soon enough, and you'll feel much more at home.

3. Don't be afraid to talk to anyone and everyone.

This was the one thing I was dreading most when I came to university. But once you remember that almost everyone doesn't know anyone either, and they're all most likely looking to make friends too it's a lot easier to get talking. Keep in mind that not everybody you meet is going to be your cup of tea, but you'll meet so many people you're sure to find a great group of people you click with in no time.

4. Find ways to connect with your housemates that aren't just drinking and partying.

With covid-19 regulations affecting university students' social lives massively, the ways we're used to unwinding after a hard day of sleeping in and eating takeaways aren't quite as easy as they used to be. Sure, you can still go to the pub or have a small gathering outside, but if drinking is involved, it's likely people won't follow social distancing rules as strictly. So, if you're looking for different ways to connect with your housemates, here's a few of my favourites:

  • Board games evening: Codenames, Bananagrams, Bean Bonanza, and Dobble are all fun!
  • Wii.
  • Baking
  • Go for a walk
  • Movie and cocktails night

5. Make friends with people in older years too.

When I was a fresher, second and third years were the people that had their lives together who didn't have time to make new friends with first years. But as a third year now, just because they might look like they have their lives completely together, doesn't mean they (or at least I) feel that way on the inside. The friends I've made that are from older years have been such a blessing to me, and I can't thank them enough for being there through the smallest and biggest challenges. From advice about living in a student house, to help with dissertation prep: those close to you who have already been through the uni experience are invaluable. 

If you're not sure how to start making friends with those in older years, do something from the first point (above) as there's bound to be a mix of years there. Just because you may not be thrown together in halls with them doesn't mean they can't become some of your closest friends at university.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Almond milk: more harm than good?

Is your morning coffee costing the lives of billions of bees? There's no denying it- plant-based milk is everywhere. In 2018, there was uproar in the US as a shortage of the popular oat milk brand 'Oatly' broke out, due to sales growing faster than even the company expected.  Demand for cow's milk is falling as people begin to choose alternative milks such as coconut, soya and even pea. However, this isn't without causing some controversy, of course. One plant milk in particular has come under fire recently, due to claims that its production is causing the deaths of billions of honey bees. Now, I'm not saying that we should just give up and switch back to drinking cow's milk. The 2018 University of Oxford study shows that dairy milk produces almost three times more greenhouse gasses than any milk alternative available.   So whichever plant milk you choose, it's still so much better for the environment than dairy. But if you're an almond milk lo

DIY Plant milk seedling trays

Now the weather has warmed up, it's the perfect time to get gardening. Here's a simple idea for germinating seeds using materials you might already have in the home! Slowly but surely, I've been convincing my family to swap to plant milk. However, this means we're also throwing out a lot more cartons. Due to the mixed materials, cartons have to be recycled at a specific centre, which currently we only have one of- in Yorkshire. This plant is capable of recycling up to 40% of the cartons produced here in the UK, but an article by The Times found that only 10% are actually recycled. Considering many people swap to plant milk for environmental reasons, it's ridiculous that most of the time the cartons end up in landfill, slowly breaking down and releasing greenhouse gasses. You can make plant milk at home, and it's a great option if you've got a zero-waste shop nearby because then you can make it entirely waste free. I have tried making my own oat milk

Seven Pages Every Bullet Journal Needs

My brother bought me my bullet journal for Christmas 2 1/2 years ago, and I've been hooked ever since! I'm very picky as to the designs I'll put in mine, which means I'm still only halfway through my first journal. Most of my inspiration comes from Pinterest. So, if you don't know where to start for ideas then create a Pinterest account RIGHT NOW. Ideas for pages there are endless, and if you've got a specific idea in mind but don't know how to put it onto a page, simply search : '(insert idea) bullet journal' for plenty to pick from. I don't have a particular theme to my journal -other than lot's of colour- because I would never be able to stick to it, but feel free to make everything match if that's your style.  Regardless, no bullet journal is complete without these pages: 1. Sunshine tracker This is one of my favourite pages, because I love how bright it is. I know it's a bit cheesy but it does make me feel all warm and fuzzy when