Skip to main content

What is Fast Fashion?

I was chatting to one of my housemates about fast fashion brands the other day, and she was asking me what brands counted as fast fashion. I gave a pretty general explanation, but because the question caught me off guard I realised afterwards if I'd have done more research myself, I'd probably be able to give a better explanation! Even if you think you know what fast fashion is (like I did), it's worth giving this a read so you can make sure you have a really good idea, so you do a better job of explaining it to others (and avoiding it yourself!).

Definition:

Fast fashion is the process where fashion companies are reproducing clothing created by established designers, to fulfil customers' demands of high fashion and the latest trends for low prices. These production of these clothes has been made to be so cost and time-efficient that the clothes can be made available to consumers with a very quick turnaround, which is why many brands constantly have new items available to purchase. The mindset created by mass-market retailers has created a throwaway culture, in which it has become normalised to buy new and dispose of the old, without considering long-lasting impacts to the planet, workers, and our money.

Warning signs a brand is fast fashion:

- Every time you go instore/ look online, they're boasting about all the new products they have.

- The price of the item does not seem justifiable considering all the costs involved in making clothes, such as resources, worker's wages and transporting goods.

- You're tempted to chuck out items from that brand rather than feel their worthy of repairing/ handing down to a sibling or friend.

- They're a big, well-known chain. Not every fashion brand that's got more than one store is fast fashion, but a lot of the brands found on UK high streets such as H&M, Zara, and Forever 21 are.

- It feels like you can't rewear an outfit more than once, because their advertising/ presence on Social Media suggests you always need to buy new for every occasion.


Sources:

https://goodonyou.eco/what-is-fast-fashion/

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/f/fast-fashion.asp

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2020/2/3/21080364/fast-fashion-h-and-m-zara

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Almond milk: more harm than good?

Is your morning coffee costing the lives of billions of bees? There's no denying it- plant-based milk is everywhere. In 2018, there was uproar in the US as a shortage of the popular oat milk brand 'Oatly' broke out, due to sales growing faster than even the company expected.  Demand for cow's milk is falling as people begin to choose alternative milks such as coconut, soya and even pea. However, this isn't without causing some controversy, of course. One plant milk in particular has come under fire recently, due to claims that its production is causing the deaths of billions of honey bees. Now, I'm not saying that we should just give up and switch back to drinking cow's milk. The 2018 University of Oxford study shows that dairy milk produces almost three times more greenhouse gasses than any milk alternative available.   So whichever plant milk you choose, it's still so much better for the environment than dairy. But if you're an almond milk lo...

Veganuary: Butternut Squash, Chickpea and Spinach Curry

For the second year running, I'm taking part in Veganuary , where you pledge to live vegan for the whole month of January. After last year, I resorted back to a fully veggie diet, but this year I'm going to try and stick to a vegan diet beyond January. I'm using this month to try out lots of new recipes, and revisit some of my favourites, so I thought I'd share some of the best with you guys! First up is a delicious, comforting curry that you won't miss having meat in. The textures of the chickpeas adds a feeling of meatiness and are a good source of protein too. I adapted this recipe from Eat Like a Girl's post , which alone is a very delicious curry. However, I added in a couple more spices to give it an extra depth of flavour. Also, I like to swap out the butternut squash for sweet potato sometimes, to change it up a bit. Make sure to chop up the spinach well, otherwise it can form quite large clumps once it's wilted. If you're not a big fan of spinac...

DIY Plant milk seedling trays

Now the weather has warmed up, it's the perfect time to get gardening. Here's a simple idea for germinating seeds using materials you might already have in the home! Slowly but surely, I've been convincing my family to swap to plant milk. However, this means we're also throwing out a lot more cartons. Due to the mixed materials, cartons have to be recycled at a specific centre, which currently we only have one of- in Yorkshire. This plant is capable of recycling up to 40% of the cartons produced here in the UK, but an article by The Times found that only 10% are actually recycled. Considering many people swap to plant milk for environmental reasons, it's ridiculous that most of the time the cartons end up in landfill, slowly breaking down and releasing greenhouse gasses. You can make plant milk at home, and it's a great option if you've got a zero-waste shop nearby because then you can make it entirely waste free. I have tried making my own oat milk ...