Skip to main content

Food reviews: Shake Shack

Watching Keith Habersberger from The Try Guys eat the whole of the Shake Shack menu before visiting counts as research, right? After some Christmas shopping, I visited Shake Shack with my housemates and we all really enjoyed it. Read about our experience below... 

'Shroom burger

As it was the only meat free option on the menu, I went for the shroom burger. This was a whole portabello mushroom stuffed with cheese, and deep-fried in a breadcumb coating, with lettuce, tomato, and Shack sauce. It was delicious, but I was a little disappointed that there wasn't a vegan option. The cheese was stuffed inside the burger, so there was no way to order it without. However, I did really enjoy this burger and it made a nice change from the usual veggie burger patty. The portobello mushroom was really meaty, and the breadcrumb coating was delicious and add a lovely crisp texture to the burger. Writing about it is making me want to eat it all over again!

Due to an order mixup I got to try the yuzu lemonade for free, which was a nice surprise as I normally just opt for water at restaurants to keep costs low. The yuzu flavour was very refreshing, and reminded me of grapefruit. It was well-balanced between sweet and sour, and quenched my thirst after the salty chips perfectly.

Shackburger

The shackburger consists of a cheesburger with lettuce, tomato, and Shack sauce (Shake Shack's own burger sauce). Hanna went for this option, and said it was good proportionally, but overall it was too small. She ended up ordering two as it wasn't as filling as she'd hoped, which I don't blame her at all, as I have to admit I wasn't as full as I was expecting after the Shroom burger either. The burger itself was really tasty, and you could tell it had been cooked fresh to order. 

Shroom burger and chips

Chick'n shack

Kim chose the Chick'n shack, which was a crispy chicken breast with lettuce, pickles, and herby mayo. She said that there was a good amount of chicken, and the patty did look bigger than the beef burger patties. For Kim, the herb mayo was too overpowering, and so she would have preferred less of that. Even after having not eaten meat for 5 1/2 years I still find fried chicken really tempting, so I would love it if Shake Shack sold a plant based chicken burger like KFC. I would be first in the queue to try that for definite.

Cheeseburger 

Amy went for the cheeseburger (with an extra patty) and it did look very delicious. Out of the four, the extra patty made it look a lot more filling than the other burgers, which we found were a bit smaller than expected. Amy said the cheese was delicious, and melted perfectly over the patties. For her, it was a bit on the expensive side (£8.50), but as it was larger it wasn't surprising that it cost a bit more. 

Top left: Shroom burger, top right: Cheeseburger, 
bottom left: Chick'n shack, bottom right: Shack burger
Chips

We all tried the chips, and everybody loved them! The chips were hot, salty, and crisp, and the perfect accompaniment to the burger. The only sauce options were ketchup, mustard and mayo which was a bit disappointing, as I like a lot of different sauces with my chips. There was no cheese sauce at our restaurant but this would have been a good option, or I would have loved to try them with some of the burger sauce or herb mayo. Next time I'll be sure to ask!










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Almond milk: more harm than good?

Is your morning coffee costing the lives of billions of bees? There's no denying it- plant-based milk is everywhere. In 2018, there was uproar in the US as a shortage of the popular oat milk brand 'Oatly' broke out, due to sales growing faster than even the company expected.  Demand for cow's milk is falling as people begin to choose alternative milks such as coconut, soya and even pea. However, this isn't without causing some controversy, of course. One plant milk in particular has come under fire recently, due to claims that its production is causing the deaths of billions of honey bees. Now, I'm not saying that we should just give up and switch back to drinking cow's milk. The 2018 University of Oxford study shows that dairy milk produces almost three times more greenhouse gasses than any milk alternative available.   So whichever plant milk you choose, it's still so much better for the environment than dairy. But if you're an almond milk lo

DIY Plant milk seedling trays

Now the weather has warmed up, it's the perfect time to get gardening. Here's a simple idea for germinating seeds using materials you might already have in the home! Slowly but surely, I've been convincing my family to swap to plant milk. However, this means we're also throwing out a lot more cartons. Due to the mixed materials, cartons have to be recycled at a specific centre, which currently we only have one of- in Yorkshire. This plant is capable of recycling up to 40% of the cartons produced here in the UK, but an article by The Times found that only 10% are actually recycled. Considering many people swap to plant milk for environmental reasons, it's ridiculous that most of the time the cartons end up in landfill, slowly breaking down and releasing greenhouse gasses. You can make plant milk at home, and it's a great option if you've got a zero-waste shop nearby because then you can make it entirely waste free. I have tried making my own oat milk

Seven Pages Every Bullet Journal Needs

My brother bought me my bullet journal for Christmas 2 1/2 years ago, and I've been hooked ever since! I'm very picky as to the designs I'll put in mine, which means I'm still only halfway through my first journal. Most of my inspiration comes from Pinterest. So, if you don't know where to start for ideas then create a Pinterest account RIGHT NOW. Ideas for pages there are endless, and if you've got a specific idea in mind but don't know how to put it onto a page, simply search : '(insert idea) bullet journal' for plenty to pick from. I don't have a particular theme to my journal -other than lot's of colour- because I would never be able to stick to it, but feel free to make everything match if that's your style.  Regardless, no bullet journal is complete without these pages: 1. Sunshine tracker This is one of my favourite pages, because I love how bright it is. I know it's a bit cheesy but it does make me feel all warm and fuzzy when